Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I'm back! (and talking about handbags!)

Sorry, guys.  I know I haven't posted since last year.  That makes it seem like a lot longer than the week or so that it actually has been.  I think my last post was Christmas Eve or something.  For the new year, I think I'll change up my blog a bit.  New background and colour scheme or something.  I've made some changes in other aspects of my life too.

I have a new hair colour!  I'm going to try blonde this year.  Yesterday, I had Dani-Q and another friend called Alice come over after an impromptu shopping trip to dye my hair (and Alice's too).  We put a blonde dye in, and we weren't entirely sure how it would turn out.  Dani-Q seemed to expect my hair to actually go blonde after just one dye job.  Half way through, she predicted it would go darker, just like my last attempt.  I expected it to either stay the same, or go bright orange (as it sometimes does when I dye it).  We had a bit of a panic when the dye turned from a weird grey-ish brown while it was in the bottle to bright blue while it was on my head.  I wasn't too worried though, since hair dye is always a weird colour.  The end result is a weird in-between shade.  I guess it could be called "Strawberry Blonde" or as I like to call it, "Debatable".  Some could call it ginger, some could call it blonde.  A certain someone will call it "OMG what a patchy, shitty job just because Dani-Q was involved, you should have let ME do it because I dye my hair every second day so I'm an expert at killing hair".  That being said, Dani-Q DID tell me she sucks at dying hair, and I really didn't expect much from them.  It turned out better than I thought, except for the rather large un-dyed part of my hairline that's RIGHT AT THE FRONTTTTTTTTTTTT

Other than that, I'm quite happy with it.  I'll have to wait a week or two, then I'll hit it with some more dye.  In fact, I'll wait for the Cleaning Nazi to return from Tennant Creek (a small hole of a town located in the centre of Australia, with predominantly Indigenous residents) and she can fix up my hair for me.

Also, another change in my life (even if it's a relatively minor one) is my bag.  As any girl will know, a handbag carries a girl's entire life with them.  It contains wallets, phones, keys, iPods, cameras, makeup, sunglasses, pens, bus timetables, sometimes work or school schedules, sometimes spare clothes and shoes, random spare change, and a shitload of receipts and rubbish.  It often has several compartments, with at least one of these being a black hole that devours anything that comes into contact with it.  Only a day ago did someone tell me they lost their sunglasses, bought now ones, lost them too, then found both of them in her bag, next to eachother.  I personally have a habit of losing my phone in my bag.  Black phones seem to dissapear in black bags.  I spend, on average, an hour a day looking for my phone in my bag.  And my keys are even harder to find.  But at least they jingle when I shake my black hole of a bag, so I know they're in there SOMEWHERE.  And get this, I only use one compartment out of the three in my bag.

So, I got sick of having this massive bag where I lose everything.  So I decided to get a new bag.  It's fairly small, with only one main compartment.  So it's not a serious, heavy duty bag.  It's more like a "running out of the house with the bare essentials" bag.  And by bare essentials, I mean everything I listed earlier, except for the spare clothes, shoes, and the rubbish.  By having this new bag, I feel slightly different.  My handbags seem to define me a little bit.   Mine defines me to the point that my boyfriend's FATHER noticed when I got a new bag, and even questioned whether his son got a new girlfriend, because of the new bag.  I suppose, everyone's bag defines them in a way.  Unless they're a brand whore, who was a new Guess bag for every outfit.  Nothing wrong with that, but they don't seem to have the same sort of familiarity with their possessions that other people do.

Let's look at some of my friends and their bags.

Me - I had the sturdy black leather "bottomless pit" bag.  I would liken it to a magician's hat.  Anything that was needed could be found in my bag.  I even went to a party once, and someone said "I need double sided tape and something to cut it with".  Everyone laughed as if to say "Who in their right mind would carry that with them".  They stopped laughing when I pulled out double sided tape and a knife.

Dani-Q - Her old bag was massive and colourful, and she lugged it everywhere until it broke.  People, including her parents, used the colourful bag to recognise her from a distance.  That really says something about how it defines her.  Her current bag is like my old one, a bottomless pit bag, except with bulkier stuff in it.  She carries deodorant cans, hairspray, several books, and a laptop on top of all the essential stuff.  It's a light cream colour as if to exude the air of a person who is light-hearted and casual, but still has a crapload of baggage to lug around.

Alice - She often has many different bags.  Like her, they are (usually) from overseas, but not the expensive designer brands.  They are quirky, oddly coloured and different to what people expect.  I don't know what she carries, but they seem like "action bags", that fit quite a lot of stuff, but aren't overflowing with crap like most people's are. 

Ashleigh - The designer brand lover.  A different bag for every outfit.  From memory, I'd say her most used bag is a giant green tote bag, Guess, if I recall correctly. I don't know what's in it, because it's a bit of a mystery to me, but I don't think there's a massive accumulation of shit in it, since she swaps bags nearly every day.

A certain loud friend of mine - Another owner of a bottomless pit.  It's so bottomless that she loses stuff for weeks at a time.  In fact, her house and car are like that too.  She carries all sorts of random stuff in there.  The essentials, deodorant, dry shampoo, even little disposable toothbrush-like things that freshen your breath, and about 20 pairs of sunglasses.

Other friends of mine, who I won't go into much detail about, have tiny bags, with only money, keys and a phone in it.  I don't know how they do it.  BUT, they also tend to forget things, and leave them at home when they need them, so maybe that's how they get away with it.

Well, I think there's enough about bags.  Time to move on.

Christmas this year was the same as usual.  Christmas-like, somewhat boring, but the good food made up for it.  It rained quite a lot, and our laundry drain started to overflow, which is a bit weird.  Because of the constant rain, the yard was very muddy, and Butters the Chihuahua also got very muddy.  There were pawprints everywhere.  EVERYWHERE.   I can't even wash him, because he'll run straight into the mud again, so he has to stay dirty for a while.

New Years Eve was a bit weird.  I went to Magnetic Island with friends, got a bit drunk, and went to a Full Moon party.  It was overcrowded, and people were accidently punching eachother, pouring drinks on eachother etc.  I got sick of it, and sat outside for a while talking to some random underage guy who snuck in by an ingenious plan.  So yeah, that was New Years Eve for me.

The few days after have been fairly uneventful.  The boyfriend has been out of town, and he's  seemed pretty miserable about it.  He's back now, and I haven't had the chance to see him yet.  I go to Cairns (a 4 hour drive away) on the 8th, so I'm just saving money for a decent shopping sale up there.

I've been reading the book Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare.  It was reccomended to me by Dani-Q.  I'm not too keen on it.  I don't like the author's juvenile writing style.  The concept is fantastic, but the writing, and characters are terrible.  Worse than Twilight.  To give you an idea, on the back of Harry Potter books is a recommendation by Stephen King.  On the back of Cassandra Clare's books is a recommendation by Stephanie Meyer, author of Twilight, an author famed for being a terrible writer (and all-around terrible contribution to society).  So that sort of gives you an idea at how bad this is.

And this particular book is supposed to be set a hundred years or so before another series she wrote, and its all supposed to link in together.  It links in all right, because it's the same fucking book, just set in a different era.  She's changed the names and hair colour of the main female, and made the main male character MORE of an asshole (I didn't realise that was possible). They're going to fall in love, even though he's a complete c*** who chases anything with a vagina.  He's supposed to have some deep down secret, that turns him from a c*** to a tragic hero, because in book-world, having a secret is a free pass to asshole land.   There's some other characters, like the generic nice guy who's like a brother to the asshole  In one of the books, the character is gay, in the other, he's addicted to demon blood or something.  Apparently, this is supposed to make the character deep and well-developed.  Y'know, he's almost on the same development level as a minor character from a decent book.  Almost.  There's also the snobby pretty chick, who's a badass in one book, and a fucking pussy in the other (who is clearly going to become badass as her character develops, if you can call it character development).  There's other characters too, but I don't care enough to actually remember what they do.  Oh, there's another character, who is actually the same person.  As in, he's immortal, and is in both books.  Somehow, he manages to have a completely different personality, and sexuality.  It confuses me.  She (the author) can't make new characters, but she changes the ones that SHOULD be the same?

Well, I'm tired of ranting.  Happy new year, etc etc. 

(Also, my stats tab STILL isn't working.  WHY MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE??????????)

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Welcome back! Yous should post a picture of your hair! Inquiring minds want to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've just broken my heart into a million tiny pieces.

    ReplyDelete