Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Inverted Greebles [UPDATED]

I'm conflicted.

I have someone texting me about going out all day. I've had someone nagging about me blogging all day. I clearly can't do both to a satisfactory level, so I compromise. I blog as well as I possibly can, while my poor little phone is buzzing its little heart out.

The reason why I am putting off my social life for an hour or so is because of NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month. It's actually international, but that ruins the catchy name. The other day, I was going about my daily business, and I realised it was October. Then I thought, "Hmm, when's November?" Then I pretty much creamed myself when I remembered what order the months of the year go in.

It's November next month! And NaNoWriMo is in November! And that means that NaNoWriMo is next month, in case you have reading comprehension issues!

Two years ago, I first heard about it. As a little sixteen year old, I found it to be too daunting. And, it was already December by then... Last year, I signed up, had a few months of intense dedication and excitement, until November 1, when I gave up... On.The.First.Night.

God damn it.

Ah well. This year, I decided I wasn't going to do it. Then I was thinking about Russell Brand putting out a second autobiography (despite how young he is, and how it's only been a few years since his first). I considered writing my own autobiography, but that would be silly, since I haven't really had too many dramatic life changing events to dedicate chapters to.

Instead, I'm going to do this blog as my NaNoWriMo project. The goal is 50 000 words, which is the size of a smallish novel. I worked this out last year, if I do 2000 words a night, it gets me over the line by the end of the month. So yeah. No structured and carefully planned narratives for me, just an endless stream of Meganisms (apparently, within my extended family, that is a commonly used term). Don't worry, I have plenty to talk about.

You know that person I was telling you about, who keeps texting me? He turned up at my house anyway, despite my dismissals. I'll finish this later. I may be slightly drunk, but it will be completed.


To Be Continued...



I'm back, and I figured that I might as well continue this one, rather than start a new one.

ANYWAY.

So my NaNo project will be this blog. I told Dani-Q about this, and she's up for a challenge. Personally, I think we'll both surrender within a week, but who knows? Typing in this blog isn't nearly as hard as trying to write your own fictional story, where you're constantly wondering if it's going to be any good and screaming "DON'T READ IT!" Every time someone walks past. Also, this way, it seems like I'm making daily progress. I'm really not, since I don't have a goal other than word limit.

I'm going to go ahead and tell you something completely (well, not completely, but somewhat) off topic here.  I've been writing stories and crap since I was learning to write.  My first one was like 2 pages long, and it was about a crab with magical powers.  I was clearly a strange little child.  Anyway, I've been writing for a long time.  I've also gone to a few different workshops with authors and shown them my writing and whatnot.   I won a poetry competition once.  It was also terrible, but not as bad as other kids' I guess.

I picked up a tiny little piece of advice from god knows where, but it helps as a character building exercise.  I used it once, and I liked it a lot, it's a shame I didn't keep those few paragraphs.  IT WAS:  Write a scene where your character(s) are having breakfast.

Y'know, you can learn a lot about someone from their breakfast.  Think about it.  My breakfast, or lack thereof, is completely dependent on what time of the year it is.  If I have cereal (which takes me like an hour to eat), I have plenty of time so I must be on holidays.  If I have something quick, and un-breakfast-like, for example pizza, I am going somewhere, probably uni.  If I have a coffee or something liquid, I'm going to work and don't have time for food.  If I have nothing, I'm going shopping, where I buy something while I'm out.

It also teaches you a lot about another person.  Let's say Jane wakes up at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon, and rather than go for the greasy bacon and eggs that her husband made her several hours ago and left on the bench, she goes for a nice big glass of water and a puke.  Big night, Jane?  I can tell.

John wakes up at 5:30am, has a power-shower, and grabs his protein shake on the way out of the apartment, with a towel around his neck.

It can also be done with several characters having breakfast together. A family with three kids, Mum rushing off to work while Dad feels the toddler.  Or, the other way around gives you a completely different story.

I'll stop now.  You get the picture.


To continue with something completely different, I'm going to see if I can get to 2000 words without running out of steam.



People who invite themselves along to stuff:  I had to deal with this situation personally today.  A friend of mine sent me a message about going into town (to nightclubs) tonight  for cheap Tuesday.  I was willing to go, because I figured I have money to spend on some fun.  I ran into another friend, who was also going out tonight.  That's when they told me "(Let's call her...) Barbara kind of invited herself. "  So, by extension, I invited myself as well, since the one who invited me wasn't invited.  Its not a huge deal, since I really don't think they would care if I went (it's my town too, guys.  I see it as a party that everyone's invited to).  Still, I told the chick who organized it that I was going to have a night alone, and save my hard earned cash.  That's what I fully intended to do.

I got home from uni, had a shower, washed my hair (FINALLY).  I snuggled up in my PJs, started this post, and KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.  My pyjama party was crashed by the boyfriend.  Mum runs into the room, frantically gesturing for me to put some real clothes on.  So he makes awkward conversation with my parents, who hate him, while I get dressed as slowly as possible.  I'm not going to make things easier for you if you turn up unannounced.  Keep that in mind before you show up at my house, whoever you are, Blog Stalker.

We get food, go places, blah blah blah.  Then I find out that (the person who I renamed as...) Barbara has texted my boyfriend (because renaming is fun, let's call him...) Ken, trying to make him take her into town.   Fair enough if I was going in with her, but I wasn't going to.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry, I just thought it was strange (and a bit funny).  Anyway, enough about tonight.  It was weird and I can't be bothered trying to explain why.

Speaking of Barbara and Ken, I was talking to Danique today about Barbie (the doll).  In particular, the Twilight Saga dolls made by Mattel (the company that makes Barbie).  I was telling her about the massive jump in quality from the first movie's Bella and Edward dolls, who look like a brunette Barbie and a pasty white freak.



To a semi normal looking Jacob doll for New Moon, which I won't link to, since I can't find a decent picture of the one we sell at work.  Then, when Eclipse came out, I noticed these were the most amazing dolls I have ever seen.  Freakin' look at them down there!



 How cool are they!  And I don't even like Twilight!  But they look like the characters, and not like Barbie/Bella.  This got us onto the topic of other Mattel triumphs, and a couple of other fucked up dolls.  There's the Black Label Basics Barbies, which are like the perfect women.  Not even like Barbie perfect, more like perfect in a more-perfect-than-Barbie way.  As Danique put it, "It's America's Next Top Model for Dolls!"





Once again, how cool are they!!!!!!  The really really black one makes me laugh.  It sounds so racist, but its funny when the packaging is black, the doll's dress is black, and the doll is the same colour as the packaging, so from a distance it looks like an empty box. Still, I'd kill to look like any of these dolls, because they are far too good looking for real people. 

What else was I going to write about?


There's some guy trying to talk to me on facebook chat.  Honestly, if you're relying on FB chat to contact me, I clearly don't like you enough to give you any of my real details, so don't bother talking to me.  He's some random guy, I don't know where I found him because he's well into his 20s, and I don't have any friends that old.  Not that it's old in the general scheme of things, it's just that I'm barely 18, so someone in their twenties is old and worldly to me.  Anyway, the point I was going for before I got off track, when we first encountered eachother, we were strangers.  Now, nearly a year later, we seem to have a lot of mutual acquaintances.  They're all people we've both known for ages, separately.  It's like I'm playing 6 Degrees of Separation with myself. 

I'm not going to talk to him. 

He's weird.


One last thing.  Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63lyA42Y6ug&feature=related

Since I don't think the link worked.

My god.  November can not come fast enough.

1 comment:

  1. Clearly readers, you can tell Megan and I spent a bit of time together today... with me even sitting in on some of her lectures which are far more interesting than my own.

    For more information on NaNoWriMo, visit the official website - www.nanowrimo.org, or my blog (shameless self promotion) which also has info on mine and Megan's competition twist :)

    ReplyDelete